9 band in IELTS writing? It might seem elusive to score 9 bands in writing, but these tips 5 which will earn you 5 stars in your IELTS essay. Many times we get confused about what to write in a essay paragraphs and most importantly how to structure it. However, there is a very simple solution to this problem. If you carefully read this article, you will never find it hard to write a IELTS band 9 essay.
Remember, there is a linking chain which you have to follow in your essay paragraphs to bind and link your sentences. The flow must be clear and precise to prove that you have a good writing skill. There are few things you need to structure and plan before writing a body paragraph, which is elaborated in the below-mentioned points.
I am taking this topic as an example of the below points
“Many people prefer to spend money and not save it. What are the reasons? Is this a positive or negative development?”
Here are your 5 stars:
1. First Sentence : The first sentence of your body paragraph is always important. While it has the most significant role in the body paragraph, it has to be done carefully to avoid any decrease in your band score. Always start your first sentence with a general statement about what you are going to write in your body paragraph. This needs to be done meticulously as it is a vital source of upcoming text in your body paragraph. For example, “The masses have a pervasive belief that only lucky ones in this world can get rich and saving money has no impact on their financial status.”. In this sentence, the examiner gets an idea of what is going to be written in the upcoming paragraph. So what is going to elaborated in the paragraph? If you see it carefully, the paragraph will elaborate on two points 1. pervasive belief and 2. saving money has no impact. Thus, the candidate is also clear on what is going to be elaborated and so as the examiner.
2. Second Sentence: The second sentence of your body paragraph will be a supporting statement of the first sentence. This means that you can mention 1. why this is happening 2. what are the reasons. In the second sentence always use these two points for your supporting sentence. For example, “The middle-class mentality is punched with the thoughts of a linear approach to earn and spend money”. Here in this second sentence the first sentence is complemented and supported by the second sentence. The second statement, tell you two things 1. The cause is the middle-class mentality 2. No saving, only earn and spend. Here, the examiner understands the reason why the first sentence of your body paragraph was written.
3. Third Sentence: The third sentence is a supporting sentence of your second sentence. You have to elaborate on why you wrote the second sentence and give a good proof of why you wrote it. For example “This linear approach of hard work and spending money on lavish is a major cause of a poor financial status.”. In this example of the third sentence, we are elaborating our second point i.e. the linear approach of hard work. It also compliments our thinking that it is the cause of a poor financial condition. Thus, your third sentence must prove that why you wrote your second sentence and how your thinking is absolutely correct. This is a major sentence as the examiner gets to know the hold of your command on linking and your thought process.
4. Fourth Sentence : The third sentence of your body paragraph is mostly an example supporting the second statement. This means, you are being realistic and stating that you wrote is true and correct. The example should be such that match the purport of the first and second statement. Also note always start your example with 1. For instance 2. For example 3. To exemplify. Take for example, “For instance, The torrent of thoughts coming from this mediocre thinking stagnated my early success of my professional life and allowed me to only spend and not save money.”. Here, the examiner will find “For instance” which means the candidate is going to give an example. The example here state two things 1. a real-life example 2. how it affected. Thus it supports the second example that the mediocre belief has stagnated his early success. Always remember, give a simple example and not a short example.
5. Fifth Sentence: The fifth sentence is your theory statement and connector to your upcoming paragraph. This fifth sentence is like a conclusion of the paragraph and is an important aspect of your body paragraph. You have to write your thesis statement for your body paragraph. For example “Thus, the middle-class mentality has always been a hurdle in the success of a person in addition to other factors.”. Here we gave our thesis statement, but if it is your first body paragraph then you have to add a curiosity about what is coming next in your next body paragraph. Here in the example, we mentioned that “in addition to other factors”, so what are these other factors, stay tuned in the next paragraph.
So what we did in the above 5 sentences is below:
The masses have a pervasive belief that only lucky ones in this world can get rich and save money has no impact on their financial status. The middle-class mentality is punched with the thoughts of a linear approach to earn and spend money. This linear approach of hard work and spending money on lavish is a major cause of a poor financial status. For instance, The torrent of thoughts coming from this mediocre thinking stagnated the early success of my professional life and allowed me to only spend and not save money. Thus, the middle-class mentality has always been a hurdle in the success of a person in addition to other factors.
To conclude, this article gives an insight picture of how to structure and write your body paragraphs. If you have any suggestions or queries please add your comment in the comment section below this article.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: